- Aerodynamic, Aero-acoustic or combined design & analysis of your aircraft, wings, tail, fans or other components from computational modelling to wind tunnel and flight tests?
- Aero-elastic analysis of your design, further extended towards wind tunnel and flight tests?
- Expertise in Power & Thermal Management of your system from computational modelling to validation by (flight) testing?
- Validation of your own analysis of aerodynamic forces and moments, transonic flutter analysis or the mitigation of unwanted Limit Cycle Oscillation properties contained in your design?
- An analysis of the Loads in the complete flight envelope, including aerodynamic loads, gust loads, buffet loads?
- The use of six degrees of freedom (6DOF) aerodynamic models for flight dynamic design & analysis?
- Expertise in computational electromagnetic modelling & analysis?
- Research into new Flight Physics & Loads phenomena or algorithm development in the field of Computational Physics?
NLR offers ‘beyond state-of-the-art’ Computational Physics solutions to complex aerospace problems. With a multidisciplinary approach, we are able to combine our computational expertise with experimental disciplines over the entire life-cycle of an aerospace vehicle (aircraft, rotorcraft, rocket, drone/UAS/UAV, etc.).
Computational Physics for us means: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Computational Aero-Acoustics (CAA), Computational Electro Magnetics (CEM), Computational Aero-servo-elastics (CAE), Aero-Thermo Dynamics (ATD), Computational Flight Dynamics and Loads.
With our experience and inhouse developed computational physics tools, we are able to provide:
- Aerodynamic (CFD) & Aero-acoustic (CAA) & Aero=servo-elastic (CAE) design, analysis and optimization of full aircraft or components. E.g. laminar wings, winglets, fans, wing-engine interaction, rotor-rotor interaction, store separation, ultra high aspect ratio wings, new aircraft propulsion configurations
- Flight dynamic simulation of a full powered aircraft in flight, real-time coupled to flight simulation
- Design & optimize for (low) Noise of a full aircraft or components
- Develop a reproducible and validated aircraft integrated power, thermal & mechanical simulation model for a representative set of flights
- CFD to Wind tunnel to real flight modelling expertise
- Expertise to develop new flight physics algorithms and tools
- Verify and validate computational simulations by using hardware tests, such as hardware in the loop, wind tunnel tests and flight tests
We operate an up-to-date, specialized computer infrastructure, including an Integrated SGI ICE-X / HPE Apollo / ATOS Sequana High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster.
We also offer you our eCFD capability for running your own CFD calculations on our infrastructure: https://ecfd.nlr.nl.
- Aero-elastic tailoring
- Aerodynamic forces
- Aerodynamic loads
- Aerodynamic moments
- Aircraft component aerodynamic design
- Aircraft design
- Buffet loads
- Complete flight envelope
- Compressor cascade design
- Computational aero-acoustics (CAA)
- Computational aero-elastics (CAE)
- Computational electro magnetics (CEM)
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Counter rotating open rotor (CROR)
- Drag-thrust bookkeeping
- Engine airframe integration analysis
- Fixed wing aircraft
- Flight physics
- Flight shape
- Ground loads
- Jig shape
- Load sequences
- Loads analysis
- Manned aircraft
- Manoeuvre loads
- Multi-constraint optimisation
- Multi-disciplinary design of aircraft configurations
- Multi-objective optimisation
- Multi-point optimisation
- Preliminary design of aircraft configurations
- Primary flow gas turbine
- Primary gas path
- RCS modelling
- Seal aerodynamic analysis
- Second opinion
- Secondary flow gas turbine
- Secondary gas path
- Simulation of helicopter rotor
- Six degrees of freedom aerodynamic model (6DOF)
- testing and evaluation program (DT&E)
- Through flow analysis gas turbine
- Turbine cascade design
- Unmanned aircraft
- Virtual development