- Cost-effective development of dedicated thermal control systems (10 W-100 kW)?
- Two-phase heat transport systems (two-phase pumped loops, loop heat pipes, pulsating heat pipes, vapour chambers)?
- Design, modelling, prototyping, development testing and qualification of satellite and aerospace cooling systems?
- Two-phase accumulators for space applications? (see our parabolic flight movie)
- High end (aero)space pumps or micro-pumps for small satellites?
- Lightweight and mini thermal control systems ? (read our papers on Mini Mechanically Pumped Loop Modelling and Design for standardized CubeSat thermal control or Micro-pumped cooling loop to standardize micro-sat thermal control)
- Conductivity testing of carbon fibre panels?
- Design and delivery of filling systems for heat pipes, cooling systems and spacecraft storage tanks?
- Thermal modelling and testing of aerospace wiring for harness mass reduction?
- Fuel cell thermal control for aircraft applications?
- High thermal stability thermal control systems (mK-level)? (see our product data sheet on NLR High Stability Chiller)
- Qualified R&D and Test engineers
- Thermal Vacuum Chambers (with IR-window and IR-camera), Thermal cycling chamber
- Thermal laboratory (pumps, flow meters, cooling baths, cold plates)
- NLR Hydrogen test facility THETA for testing of aerospace hydrogen fuel cell systems
- NLR Two-Phase Test Facility
- Close co-operation with NanoSpace/REALTECHNOLOGIE AG , a high end supplier of (aero)space pumps
- NLR 2-φ MPL transient analysis tool in Matlab
- Software (ESATAN, ThermXL, Abacus FEA, Matlab, Mathcad, Labview)
- Innovative modular tool for CubeSat thermal analyses in ESATAN-TMS (read our report)
- Thermal Design Module (TDM) for the thermal analysis of aircraft harnesses
- Satellite HARness Evaluator (SHARE) for the thermal analysis of spacecraft harnesses
The thermal vacuum facility is part of the NLR environmental test facilities for a complete one-stop environmental test campaign.
Major customers are: AMS02 (CERN), NASA, ESA, Stork Fokker Elmo, ASML, Thales, Bradford Engineering and Dutch Space.
NLR was a leader in the development of the Tracker Thermal Control Cooling system for AMS02, a dedicated two-phase cooling system which has been operating on ISS since May 16 2011.
- Climate chamber
- Conductive carbon fibres
- Cooling systems
- Fuel cell testing
- Heat pipes
- Loop heat pipes
- pulsating heat pipes
- Single phase pumped cooling systems
- Temperature control
- Thermal analysis of harnesses
- thermal control
- Thermal cycling
- Thermal design
- Thermal testing
- Thermal vacuum chamber
- Two-phase pumped cooling systems