Which services does the facility offer
The versatile NLR Air Traffic Control simulation environment offers capabilities to develop, visualize and validate (new) operational concepts and procedures. This can be done at individual controller level (e.g. working position), airport level (e.g. remote tower) or even at air space level (single European Sky) with human-in-the-loop features.
The high fidelity simulation set-up allows for qualitative and quantitative safety assessments and training applications for Air Traffic Controllers.
Who can benefit from these services
Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSP), ATC system suppliers, governmental agencies dealing with air operations and environment.
How to get access to the facility
NLR grants customers (academia, business, industry and public services) access to its flight testing services through an agreement between the user and NLR. Fees for access are based on number of flight hours. You will find the contact info on the right.
Detailed description of the facility
The ATC simulator is developed fully in-house with a focus on modularity and configuration and is based on COTS hardware.
Its features are:
- Visualization of any airport using 360 * 40 degrees projection, five air traffic controller positions each with three TFT screens and 21-inch pen tablets.
- Supervisor, departure clearance or snow desk positions can be added.
- Realistic weather conditions, such as poor visibility, snow, rain, and day and night.
- Integration of third party systems whilst maintaining scalability and performance
- A-SMGCS, datalink operations.
- Facilities for analysis of traffic flows and their impact on the environment (fast-time simulators TAAM and AirTOp).